Thanks Cap

By 5/25/2014 , , , , , ,

As I sit here listening to the Captain America soundtrack, setting the mood for myself as I write this post, I can't help but feel an over-powering feeling, or rather feelingS. 


Memorial Day is upon us once again and I've taken some time to think about what this day is set aside for. I think it's really easy for us all to become a little blinded by all the BBQ's, sun, and activities that tend to take place. Not that I don't FULLY intend to enjoy my fresh salsa and grilled chicken sandwich, because...I do. But there are a few things I know I should be keeping in mind more on this day. 

If you want to be technical, Memorial Day was named to honor those men and women who have served in the military of any form to help defend our country. Throughout our country's history, thousands of men and women have given their time, effort, and for many their lives, in order to preserve and protect the freedom that we take for granted today. They sacrificed unimaginable things, all because they love this country and what it stands for. 

Now, being a history buff, I've read and studied a lot about all the different wars that our country has been involved with. From the Revolutionary War to the attacks on 9/11, brave men and women have always stood up to fight, no matter what the cost. Why? I think it's because they truly believe and know how blessed we are and have a true desire to make the world a better place. In the end, I think it comes down to passion. They have something they are passionate about, which fosters their great sense of patriotism. 

I recently saw the film The Monuments Men and I was so incredibly touched by how that group of men were willing to risk their lives for the accomplishment and beauty of other people's lives. Without giving away any spoilers, this movie gave a different insight into the horror of World War II and the evil that perpetrated during it. These men were passionate about their fields and passionate about doing something about it. (I highly recommend everyone see it. Just do it.) 

I guess the point I'm trying to get to is how connected I feel to those who have given their lives for MY freedom. I don't know their names. They don't know mine. But they did it anyways. They stand as unknowing symbols that freedom comes at a cost, and it isn't an easy one. Bear with me as I drift into a movie reference, but in The Lord of the Rings triliogy when Frodo and Sam are inside the city of Osgiliath, Frodo is losing hope and grasping to find any sort of light in their dim situation. He asks Sam what they are fighting for. Samwise (the brave) says something that will always inspire me. "Because there's good in this world Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for." It's so simple and beautiful. 
Pulling it back towards Memorial Day, I like to believe that the people who have fought throughout our nations history to protect the precious liberties we have understand that even though during times of war when evil seems to be so wide spread and the darkness far outweighs the light, that the good that still exists in the world is worth fighting for. No matter how small that light may be. And because of this understanding, our freedom still exists today. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a remarkable and beautiful thing. 

If there is anything I've learned in my short lifetime, it's to not take my freedom and liberty for granted. I don't think I'll ever be in a battlefield or have to risk my life for my freedom, but I can at least do my part and remember and respect those you have and will continue to do. 

As our trusty Captain America said, "The price of freedom is high, and it's a price I'm willing to pay." 

Thanks Cap. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments