The Perks of Being a Church Employee

By 7/10/2014 , , , , ,

I've found a wonderful new place in this small vast world we live in. Not even a week into my new job, and I've found a dozens of fantastic elements I'll never tire of. It's not that I want to make you jealous or anything.....but I do. #selfishiknow

In case I haven't mentioned it, I now work at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Or as we locals call it, the Church Office Building. Or as we employees call it, the COB. Or as passers-by call it, that really tall building.

Let me tell you some of the perks I've found from this job.

  1. I get to walk through Temple Square twice a day. When there aren't thousands of people huddled in coats, trying not to slip and slide. And let me tell ya, it's beautiful. So far, I've noticed the highest percentage of tourists here are Asian. Surprised? Don't be. Apparently its normal. 
  2. Since I take front-runner everyday, I have the inordinate pleasure of having planned in reading time. Would you be shocked if I told you in less then a week I've finished two books? Don't be. THAT is extremely normal. 
  3. The vending machines here are AWESOME. Why? Because I don't feel like I'm getting robbed like I did back on campus (sorry BYU, that was your one fault). To make things better, the food gods love me so much that when I bought a string cheese out of one, it gave me TWO. #itslikeidontcarewhatelsehappens 
  4. While we're on the food topic, the cafeteria is everything everyone says it is. Delicious. Cheap. And PACKED with cute senior missionaries. And maybe a few cute young missionaries. And a DARLING old man that plays the piano that I think I should become best friends with. That's been added to my "Things to Do at the COB" list. 
  5. Employees here have a discount on Disneyland passes. #WHAT #mindblown 
  6. I have a little card that gets me into locked places. Okay, not ALL locked places, but most of them. That's cool enough for me to mention. 
  7. I have parking privileges. In church official places. Not that I drive a car here.....but....it's still awesome. 
  8. EVERYONE IS NICE. Everyone smiles. Men in suits. Women a dressed up. Cute little senior missionaries. Nice security guards. It's like I'm living in a Utopian society that belongs in one building. 
  9. My floor has a pebble ice machine. YES, a pebble ice machine like they have at Cafe Rio. IT'S LIKE THEY KNEW I WAS COMING. 
As I continue to work, I think I'll find more of these precious gems. But for now, I'm satisfied. I mean, how many people start their New Hire Orientation with a video of President Utchdorf welcoming them to your new position? Not many my friends, not many. 

Here's a happy beginning of no longer being unemployed. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm sooooooo excited for you!! This is going to be great! You have to tell us when you meet apostles, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You so deserve this my dear! You're going to rock this job like there's no tomorrow, I just know it. : ) P.s. We need to go to lunch soon!

    ReplyDelete