Advice to a Freshman
Somehow......I've made it.
Graduation.
Years of studying, cramming, late night escapades, and many chocolate items have all brought me to this point.
How do I feel?
Shocked? Amazed? Proud? Relieved?
Yeah, probably a good mix of all of those. But none of them can really nail down the emotion I'm feeling. It's a very satisfying, yet unnerving feeling. Having worked my whole life to accomplish this, it's a very sweet feeling to think that I actually did it.
Now with that out of the way, I was given the idea of what would I say to someone just starting out in college. What kind of advice could I give a freshman? Well, here's my answer to that.
1. College is not high school.
Please understand, as early as possible, that high school is behind you. College is a completely different system and environment. Don't expect to know everyone, or even....anyone, in your classes. College is new, exciting, and full of thrills. But please....leave high school.....at home. This is your time to discover who you really are and let yourself be a little more free then high school ever really allowed you to.
2. Get out there and MEET people.
I made the mistake of being content within my own little circle. Which was GREAT. I have wonderful friends, and I've met a lot of new people. BUT, if I had put myself out there more in the beginning, I would have made so many more connections and probably had even more great experiences. So get out of your room. Don't be STUPID, but have fun. Do something a little spontaneous. :)
3. Be diverse.
Don't limit yourself to doing one thing and insisting that everything else is not worth your time. Campus life has SOO MUCH TO OFFER. Musical events, sporting games, clubs, comedy shows, guest lectures, the list goes on and on! Homework and studying is great and important, but I feel that it is SO important that you learn the social skills and other fascinating things that campus can offer you. You're paying to be here, so you might as well get every penny worth that you can. Am I right, or am I right? I didn't learn that until later in my college years, so I would highly suggest doing it sooner rather then later.
4. Be prepared.
Prepare yourself for ANYTHING in the future. Seriously. And I'm not just saying career wise. Learn a variety of different skills that can help you in any way. For example, how to boil water. I've met a startlingly large number of people who didn't even know how to do that. Learn to do your laundry. Learn to cook at least one meal. Learn how to manage time. Learn how to prioritize (yes, I watched netflix over homework sometimes. #guilty). Learn how to communicate. Learn how to walk from one place to another without being out of breath. Life skills people. Life skills. Doing this, combined with the excellent education that you are getting will make life so much easier and manageable. #youcandoit
5. Enjoy the moment.
On the opposite of being prepared, it's also equally or even more so important to revel in the moment. Guys, life moves so fast. Heck, I don't even know how I got through 4 years faster then you can blink. Enjoy every single moment and experience you have. It could be laughing with a few friends about something only people in your major would get. It could be watching Jimmer slaughter everyone in his path (wait...you can't do that...I did that. And it was AWESOME.) It could be simply loving the beautiful campus around you as you walk to class. Go to a cultural activity. Sing in the car REALLY LOUD. Just enjoy the simple things that make you happy. ENJOY IT. Moments go so fast my friends. If there is anything I've had to learn to do, it is to live in the moment and remember the feelings you have when it happens. Enjoy the people around you, or enjoy solitude every once in a while. Like I always like to say, life is short, eat dessert first. :)
6. Discover yourself.
Take the time every once in a while to revaluate yourself and what you're becoming. For me, I would do this through my blog, or journal, or even just chatting with a friend or family member. Look at what your doing with yourself and how you are changing. Why are you changing? What events have caused you to become this way. It's therapeutic and healthy.
7. Have deep conversations.
The odds of you having PLENTY of silly and momentary conversations is VERY high. I've had plenty of them. And they're highly enjoyable. BUT, having deep thought provoking conversations is extremely good for the soul. Why? It not only develops your own thinking, but it I think it helps you to really grasp larger concepts in life. It gets your mind working in a way that it might not otherwise do. Listen to other people's perspectives. Grow from different ways of thinking, as well as your own. You learn a lot about the world and yourself. Your beliefs and standards are also more firmly planted where you want them to be.
8. Be healthy
Learn how to eat healthy and exercise regularly. Honestly, you'll thank me. It not only makes you happier, but you won't get the freshman 15 and you'll even perform better in school. It's a PROVEN fact. Just do this for yourself. It doesn't have to be anything intense. Just eat some healthy foods and exercise a few days a week. Walk instead of drive in the car (if you can). Go for a bike ride. Take a hike.
9. Call your parents.
Make sure you talk to your parents at least once a week. Preferably twice a week. It's important to stay in touch with your family. Your parents care about you, and are willing to listen to ANY sort of dumb story you have. Honestly.....my parents find me funny, so it made it that much easier to just spill things. Your relationship with them will grow that much more and you'll be thankful for it in the future.
10. As my final piece of advice....just read this quote.

2 comments
Wow! How did I ever deserve to be so blessed as to have you for my daughter. You are more than just funny, you are remarkable. Thank you for being you!
ReplyDeleteLove it Audrey! It's advice that I'll be applying to my own life, even though I'm in grad school! You are so wise!
ReplyDelete