Walter Mitty, Thank You

By 3/18/2014 , , , , , , , ,

Okay, it's about time for a new post and something that blows my mind.

Question for the audience.

Have you seen The Secret Life of Walter Mitty???

No?? Then repent and go see it. Dollar theater. It won't hurt you that much. I'm sure you have that much change laying around your house.

Yes?? Then continue reading. :)

This movie seriously inspired me.

It was refreshingly different, real, and motivating. In the film world today, that is a rare gem. So here are some of my initial thoughts.

1. This movie reflects a lot of what society has become. We get so caught up in the day to day things, like paying for the bills, going to a boring job, zoning out, watching the girl/guy across the hallway. Before we know it, we find ourselves sitting in the same office, in the same outfit, for the last 20 years. And the people above you or around you tell you that you can never move and that you're stuck. You're unimportant. You'll never do anything great, like you thought as a little kid. The rags to riches American story doesn't seem to have the same magic these days does it? I thought this was so well portrayed in the movie. High five Ben Stiller.

2. Just do it. GO. Get out of here! Embrace the moment! What's keeping you back? That's what Walter realizes. He gets snapped out of the daze he's been living in. And he has to be snapped out of it a couple of times. The girl inspired him to do something, instead of dream something. He didn't even know if it would make a difference to her, but it changed him, for the better. I think this is something we have to really learn as adults or even as children nowadays. You find something inspiring? Go for it. Go get it. Do something spontaneous. I'm a planner, but I've learned that doing something in the moment, no matter how silly it is, you don't regret it. It gives you memories, experience, and character. Who wouldn't want that?

3. Leading from that, learn to live in the moment. At the end of the movie, when Walter finds Sean, and watches him prepare for his ultimate picture, but then.....he doesn't take it. Instead he says, "Sometimes I don't. If I like a moment, for me, personally, I don't like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it." Oh my gosh.....please tell me that did SOMETHING to you? We are so full of distractions in this world. Devices. Billboards. Even the radio, TV, and magazines. There is always something to distract you from something in front of you. That is something we as a generation have lost. We've lost the ability to stay in the moment. It's like we don't know what that even means. Put the phone down. Turn the music off. For even five minutes. Listen to the natural sounds around you. Watch people. (okay, that might sound creepy, but i mean it in the....non-creepy way) But take a look around you. Things happen. Beautiful things that you wouldn't see otherwise. LIVE IN THE MOMENT. At least try to once a day. I think it makes such a difference. Coming from a big picture, planner, look to the future kind of person, living in the moment is a real and relevant thing we need. Take it from Sean the photographer. He gets it. And now Walter does. High five Ben Stiller again. 

I think everyone needs to see this movie. It's clean. Funny. And REAL LIFE. It will touch your inner soul. And if it doesn't.........then......go back to your drab, dreary desk and keep waiting for your Walter Mitty moment.



Stop Dreaming,


Start LIVING.  



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Oh yeah. I liked this movie too. It made me think about what I'm doing and why I seem to wait for "someday" a lot. And the cinematography was spectacular!

    ReplyDelete