Run Forest, RUN
When I start something new, or learn about something that I didn't know a lot about before, I often like sharing that with people in one way or another. I like this because I absolutely LOVE it when other people share things with me that they've become interested in. I really enjoy seeing people get excited about new things or experiences they've had.

That being said.
I'm currently training for my first half marathon.
Yes. Yes there are days where I think I'm a little crazy.
But I'm doing it nonetheless and I'm LOVING it. I believe it's good to set goals for yourself, short term and long term, and then achieve them. It gives you a sense of accomplishment and self worth that nothing else can.
So. I've been training for a couple of months now, and I'm about half way through the training, and it would be safe to say that I've learned a LOT. There's a lot more to running, serious running, then you might think. There are a lot of tips and techniques that I've found both useful and helpful along the way. So I thought I would share what I've learned so far. I think these can be applied to anyone who wants to run 1 to infinity miles. :)
I'm going to break it down into 3 sections.
Logistics
- Good running shoes. I've found this essential on multiple levels. You need good comfortable shoes that will support your foot. When I first started training I had some really lame shoes. I had been getting by with them through my aerobic classes, but I hadn't been actual running in them. Needless to say, I caused myself a lot of pain before I said enough was enough and bought new shoes. It fixed everything. Plus I felt like I could practically bounce through my whole run!
- Fun/nice workout clothes. Some may think this is dumb, but I've found that if I have workout clothes that I'm excited to wear, I'm that much more excited to go on my run. I feel better about myself and like to pretend what I look like (when in reality I'll always look funny when I run). It's worth the extra money to get you out on the road.
- Decide on a time of day that works best for you. For most people, it makes running a LOT easier if you figure out the time of day that you enjoy running the best. Not just convenience. Enjoyment. For me, mornings are usually the best, because I not only get it out of the way, but it gets me outside in the sun for a little bit and energizes me. Occasionally, my bed will use its power to keep me in bed too long, so I'm forced to wait until evening when it's cooler.
- If you need a little extra push on a decision, read this and see what you think. Morning Run
- Accountability. For me personally, I absolutely HAVE to be accountable to something or someone in order to be consistent with my running. It drives me to keep going and push myself. There's a couple ways you can do this. Running buddies are an excellent solution. Having someone you go running with can not only make you get up in the morning, but can make your run more fun! Signing up for races is another one. Exhibit A, I signed up for my half marathon. I PAID MONEY. You can bet I'm going to get out there and run. I'm going to make every penny count.
- Set a goal. This is kind of similar to the previous point, but can be worked at differently. Signing up for races is one kind of goal you can set, but there are smaller goals you can make as well. For me, the goals are even made run by run. For example, today I told myself I had to run the first 2.5 miles straight before I could walk 1/8 of a mile. I try to make little goals like that for every run I do. It not only shows myself that I can do it, but I gain more confidence in my running.
- Motivation. THIS IS KEY. You have to work continually to motivate yourself. Honestly, this is different for everyone, but it's important to find out what works best for you. Here's some things I do.
- Confidence. I'm ALWAYS more confident if I'm exercising more, so that's a simple form of motivation.
- Pinterest. I'm the first to admit that I love searching health/running pins on pinterest. Sometimes, I even have friends send me fat people pins to motivate me to not want to live that life so I better darn well get out there and run. #notfatandhappy
- Vacations. Honestly, I want to gorge myself on vacations, so I'll frequently use them as motivation to be really good in my eating and running for the months leading up to it so then it's that much more enjoyable.
- WATER. I cannot stress enough drinking enough water. Coming from someone who has always struggled drinking enough (cough*kidney stones problems*cough), understand how important it is. It not only keeps things flushed through your body, but keeps it hydrated. Especially when you're running during the summer, your body is literally being sucked of all it's moisture when you go out there. DRINK. DRINK. DRINK. Buy a nice water bottle and keep it with you all day. Just drink.
- Fueling. I've learned that when you go on runs longer then 5 miles, it's extremely important to fuel your body. It can't run for long without some sort of energy to keep it going. There are TONS of specialty foods made for serious runners that they can carry with them
- Here's a website that talks a TON about this and is extremely helpful :) Fueling Article
- Cross Training. I don't run every day. Heaven forbid. But, it's important to continue building muscle in other ways in order to keep your body strong and ready to run. This can be in multiple forms. You can go to the gym and lift (that's for really cool people....I'm not that cool). You can do your own lifting at home. I have my own weights and just found exercises online that I can do right after my run. Aerobic cardio workout help you to keep your metabolism going, but don't put the strain on your muscles quite like running. So what I do is I run M, W, F, S and the T,TH I do either a Jillian Michael's workout or I've done Tae Bo as well. I've also done zumba, which is GREAT. Yoga is another great option.
- Stretching. PLEASE. For the love of all that's good in the world, stretch before and after your runs. It may not completely take away the soreness, but it helps you to prevent injury and to keep your muscles acting the way they should! It's a lot easier to stretch out the soreness when your body is warm. JUST DO IT.

2 comments
You're so great! I wish I could be motivated like you to go run!!
ReplyDeleteTrust me it's not easy! hahaha If only I didn't like treats so much!
Delete