1: Revolutionized the World
For being one who is so in to history and learning about the past, it won't come as a surprise when I say that I'm incredibly patriotic. I love my country. I love the freedoms it gives me. And I love what principles it was created under. SO. As a result of this, I'll be paying tribute to things that have to do with America during the following week, seeing as we're celebrating the signing of our historic Declaration of Independence.
I think it only appropriate to start at the beginning. The Revolution. The war that began it all. The men that started it all. The foundation.
Now, we've all got at least the 4th graders knowledge of what went down back in the 1770's, and even before that. Some english king hated Americans. Americans hated some english king. There was a shot heard around the world. Fighting. Brave George Washington--"I must not tell a lie". Wins. Losses. Declaration of Independence. Then BAM. America wins. Right?
That's the basic gist of it. America won. England lost. BUT. There's so much more then that! Pardon me if I kind of monologue for a minute here. I love history. So clearly that means I'm going to talk about it. ;)
He was considered the invincible man. Nothing could touch him. He could never be shot down in war. No one could ever look as majestic. One account recalled during a battle of the Revolution, both sides were shooting viciously at each other, and General Washington needed to go to the other side of the battlefield (there was an actual reason, but that reason has fled my mind at them moment) so, in the very center of the battle, between the two sides, General Washington rode his great white horse in the middle. RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE!! That's where all the shots are being fired remember? Not to mention these guys didn't have the BEST aim, so they were literally flying everywhere. But he didn't get shot ONCE. Not once. Completely unharmed. The people thought he was a god of some sorts. That he could do anything. They would follow him anywhere. Superman 1776 style.
Ever heard "Give me liberty or give me death!"? Of course you have. Patrick Henry. March 23, 1775 at the St. John's Church in Virginia. If ever there was a man who believed in freedom and liberty, this guy did. Have you ever heard the rest of his speech? Probably not. So, let me indulge you a little. His entire speech is really quite moving, and if I had been there, I would have been pumping my fist in the air and shouting "Liberty! Freedom!" over and over again. Here is the last section of it that I really quite enjoy:
Doesn't that just energize you to go sacrifice for what you believe is right?! Man. It gives me chills."Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations; and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable²and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace²but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
To conclude this post, I think it only necessary to end with the Declaration of Independence. Its more then just the document that John Hancock signed (do you know WHY he signed it so big? He wanted King George to be able to read it without his spectacles!). It's more then just the document that Nicholas Cage needs to read in order to find his treasure in National Treasure. It was our way of shouting across the sea to King George III and telling him, "You think you can RULE us?! GO AHEAD! Try and do it from that chair of yours." Okay....that may be a little more blunt and rude. BUT, if you read the Declaration, you'll find that Thomas Jefferson really wasn't that reserved. He dished out plenty of hits to the King, and had no problem doing it. In fact, the majority of the middle section of the document describes what King George did wrong to the colonists. But the preamble and the conclusion have powerful statements:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness...."
"We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."Okay, so for those of you that actually read that, isn't it just so great!? It makes me want to stand up and cheer! Or cry tears of patriotism! I don't know which! But it's truly a powerful statement and nothing has torn it down yet.
Well, I hope some of you enjoyed that history lesson. Tomorrow's should be less like that. (*cough* Don't bet on it*cough*) But tomorrow's should at least include Captain America, and who doesn't want to read about that right?
God Bless America.
0 comments