Life Lessons
I've found that as my life continues, and the older I get, the more I seem to understand and see--naturally. It's part of life's progression and growing up process I guess, and every day it amazes me how much I am learning about myself and how to do one thing: Be Happy.
As a young adult trying to decide what to do with herself, trying to make big life decisions, and somehow "grow up", I've found that I frequently reflect on myself and life in general. As a kid, my life goal was to get to BYU. Literally, that was it. I wanted to be a Cougar and go to sports games. And so, when I got into BYU, I hadn't really thought about the after part. The first two years of college I didn't really let myself worry about post-graduation. I just went with the ride; studied hard, cheered loud, and enjoyed the student life. Easy. But this last year has been a different story. Life began to hit me. The reality of life began to hit me. I'm not the old married woman I thought I would be at this point when I was younger. I'm a young single adult woman who doesn't date a whole ton, is graduating soon, and needs to support herself once she leaves this happy little world. So...among the stress of this, I've come to a few conclusions that have helped me to realize and gain the happiness that makes my life seem a little better brighter.
1. Love yourself.
Admittedly, this has been one thing I've struggled with. It's really easy, especially for girls, to get down on themselves. To convince themselves that because they aren't like someone else, they aren't good enough. But honestly, it's all wrong. You can't love others and and expect them to love you if you don't first love yourself. Love who you are, who you can be, and who you will be. Love the funny quirks about yourself. Love the body you've been given, skinny or not. Love the way you sneeze. Hahaha. For example, I love the passion that I have for things in my life. I am a passionate person. About things as deep as patriotism and as simple as Harry Potter. If it makes me happy and takes me away from the worries of my every day life, I get really into it. Loving yourself brings happiness that nothing else can.
2. Be patient.
It's probably the most ironic thing telling you this because I am probably the most impatient person you'll ever meet. I hate waiting for things. Especially when it has to do with my future life. But honestly, patience is a huge part of growing up. Patience is a virtue for a very good reason. I literally have to remind myself on a daily basis to be patient. Everything will work out how it should, but only if I have a little patience. Nothing great and wonderful comes immediately. But I DO know that whenever those great things do come, they will have been well worth the wait.
3. Enjoy the moment.
As I've probably mentioned before, I'm a big picture person. I look ahead. I love schedules, plans, and goals for the future. Not that any of that is bad, but it can sometimes hinder me from enjoying the moment. Enjoying the things that are happening right now and to focus on that rather then worry about what might happen in the future. Before we know it, we'll all be 90 years old and wondering why we didn't enjoy more of our younger life. These are some of the best and most exciting years of our lives, and learning to live in the moment can go a long ways. It will also help you to not become a kill joy. ;) haha
4. Don't give up.
This is my daily personal pep talk. Don't give up on yourself. Don't give up on your life. Don't give up on the people around you. Nothing good will come of it. We have to keep going. The only way we will ever be able to reach our full potential is if we simply try. Obstacles and trials come and go, but they are no reason to give up. I find myself constantly having to find new ways to motivate myself to keep going and remember that everything is going to be okay. Heavenly Father loves and looks out for me AND you, and if that's not enough, then I don't know what is.
I did this mostly for myself. I don't often write things this seriously, but I think it's healthy to every once in a while. Life's not going to get too much easier from here on out, but that's no reason to not embrace it and make the most of it.
2 comments
You are beautiful and wonderful, and I know that your life will just be perfect. It's an exciting time, just keep remembering that :) Love you girl!
ReplyDeletePS Are you still going to DC in the fall?
Oh Rachel, you're sweet. :) I'm actually not! I didn't get accepted. But it's okay! I've got great things ahead for my last year!
Delete