Love Week
So you would think that being a single, good-looking, intelligent (have I made myself look cool enough yet?) college student that I would absolutely hate single awareness day/week.
Well, to be quite honest, I love it. And I've always loved it.
As a child, I loved my school parties where we all had our brightly colored valentine's boxes and our hello kitty or super tough guy valentines to give everyone in the class. I would go through each one and find my favorites and keep them for at least a year. Don't ask me why, I just did.
At home, my mom has ALWAYS made a big deal out of Valentine's Day for us. All of us. Not just my dad. For a long time, it was just my dad and his women (until my baby bro was born a few years ago), so he had quite the task. My mom always makes a super formal dinner, complete with her best china, rose petals and candles. To this day, she still does this and let me tell you, the food just gets better and better. ;)
My dad, especially when it was just three of us girls, would give us a specially picked out card, and either flowers or some sort of gift. For a few years when we were younger we got some of the cutest Valentine's teddy bears. I always loved it, because he was the only man to give me something. :) And I'm okay with that.
Another thing I LOVE about Love Day is that I get to make Valentines. As a kid I used those store bought ones (which I still love), but sing senior year in high school, I've found that I LOVE making my own. It feels more personal and special, because I can individualize them. :) Plus, it gives me a good reason to color and be crafty. This year's are going to be particularly excellent. ;)
One more reason that I love is because for many years we have watch An Affair to Remember on Valentine's Day. Please tell me you have seen this movie, or at least heard of it? It is the most romantic, heart-warming, heart-wrenching, funny movie of all time. Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, 1957, Century Fox. BEST. DANG. MOVIE. If you haven't seen it, please come to my place and we'll fix it. Even my dad likes it. That means something. ;)
When it all comes down to it, I think the best thing about Valentine's Day for me is that my family has made it a fun, enjoyable, and yummy day. Not a day that I should mope in my room because no man has walked up and confessed his undying love for me (although, I wouldn't mind that). I love Love Day!
Here are some pictures to laugh at. Every good blog post has pictures.
And how do I plan to celebrate this year? Romance movie everyday. Valentine's nails. Dinner with the fam. Chocolate. :)




0 comments