Busy vs. Productive

By 2/28/2014 , ,

In speaking with a friend recently, the topic of busyness versus productivity came up. It really struck me at how different the two things are. And it seems to me that its become a serious issue in this day and age, for all ages, not just young adults and older. I find myself guilty of it, so I feel fine talking about it. :)

Before writing this, I did a little research and read a bunch of articles on people's thoughts on this. (Yeah, I'm not the first person to think of this) One thing I kept reading is that people are constantly telling each other how busy they are. They've had a busy week. Forget how they are actually doing, they're just busy. Life is so rough, they say, because they are so busy. Busy with what? I think that's the question we all need to ask ourselves.

In the modern world today, we have so many "things" to make us "busy". Phones, iPads, texts, emails, the list goes on and on. Always moving, always going somewhere, talking to people constantly, always thinking about things you should be getting done, but not really accomplishing anything at the same time. Making sure others are aware you are "busy". I feel like so many people feel the need to use social media that way. I believe social media is a great way to communicate, share, and empower us, but it has to be used in the correct way. Using it as throw-all board doesn't really cut it.

On the other side, productivity is different. Getting. Doing. Done. It's efficiency. It's knowing how to use your abilities and even those around you to get something done and move on. By being able to do this, you not only get things done, but you also leave time left over! Can you believe that? Productivity should give you extra time. You aren't BUSY. You're productive. Whenever I'm actually productive, I not only feel better, I feel happier with myself and towards others. I'm more optimistic. I also realize how much I'm capable of and I find other opportunities to do lots of other great things to enrich my life. It's amazing really.

In my research, I found some great things. Here's a list of traits that Dave Anderson made that I really liked (these are straight from his website).
1. Productive People are More Efficient:
I can always count on a productive person to get things done.  If they say “Yes” to a task, I know it has become a priority.  I trust their ability to prioritize and believe in their ability to accomplish things in a timely manner.
2. Productive People are More Relaxed:
Productive people seem like they are in control.  Busy people seem to be controlled by everything BUT themselves.  They can never relax.  They complain about lack of sleep and often wish they had more time for everything.
3. Productive People are More Flexible 
Productive people are able to adjust their day for emerging priorities.  Sometimes, when I ask a busy person to do something simple, they over-react.  The possibility of adding anything to their “to do list” makes their head explode.
4. Productive People Have More Time for Others: 
Productive people are comfortable to be around.  Busy people always seem like they are late for their next appointment.  It seems the people they are with do not hold the same interest for them as the people they are about to be with.

I think he hit those spot on. Productive people just seem to be happier, healthier, and well....more productive! Hahaha
Personally, I'm one of those people who likes to do a lot of things. I like being involved. I like feeling "productive" even when I'm sliding into that busy section. I have always been a highly motivated person. As a little girl I worked hard in school to do everything I could and more. Once I hit high school, I always pushed myself to do more and be more. I think I slid between the busy/productive cycles frequently. But once I hit college, the terms busy and productive turned into completely new meanings. I was working 20 hours a week, while going to school, and trying to learn how to take care of myself. It was difficult at first. My homework was ten times harder it seemed, and I had lots more of it. So I had to learn to be "productive" and prioritize my time accordingly so I could still enjoy other aspects of college (social life, sports, dating...jk no dating haha). After I got the hang of just school and work, I took on more things that could help me out as a person. I joined student council. I did an internship during one semester. I took more classes. Challenged myself. And yes, in some cases it made life a little more difficult, but I learned more about myself and how to live a happy life while getting things done and moving forward. 

Three more things that Anderson mentions is what productive people do to accomplish this lifestyle. 
1. Productive People Prioritize
2. Productive People Know Themselves
3. Productive People Say "No" 

SO much truth in all of these things. I know people who are GREAT at being productive, and they really do show these habits. And they are the exact things I know I work on daily. One thing I love love love doing, and I know that I'm ALWAYS more productive when I do is make a list. I make lists for anything and everything. Even if I just make a mental list, I know I will at least accomplish a few of those things, automatically making my day 10x more productive. 

Now, I'm still not perfect at this. I still have my days where I do nothing really productive for hours, when I could have gotten all my homework done, or started working on something else worth living for. But instead I watched two hours of youtube videos, or I dozed in my chair, or ate something instead. So, it's a constant thing we have to keep at. 

While speaking with my friend on this topic, she pointed me towards a WONDERFUL talk given by Ian S. Ardern a few years ago. It's called "A Time to Prepare". I highly suggest you read the whole thing. But here's a quote from it I loved a lot: 

" I invite us to identify 
the time-wasting distractions in our 
lives that may need to be figuratively 
ground into dust. We will need to be 
wise in our judgment to ensure that the 
scales of time are correctly balanced 
to include the Lord, family, work, and 
wholesome recreational activities."

Let's quit being busy and start being productive! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments