Young Adult Therapy
I'm in a philosophical mood again. And in my world, writing helps to organize and formulate my thoughts. So why not share them?
It's been one of those weeks were Tuesday afternoon I was asking my friend what we wanted to do tomorrow. "What do you mean Audrey?" "I mean, what do we want to get done this weekend." "Audrey.....it's only Tuesday." .....(silence) *face palm*.
I was searching for some inspiration/motivation the other day to get me to get up and do something marginally productive before class. I was even listening to my Avenger's score playlist, which usually motivates me to save the world, but not even that was doing its job. Then I came across some blogs.
Now...for those that these things don't directly apply to, bear with me, close the window, or go eat some fries...I mean yummy carrots. This is just something I've been contemplating as a woefully responsible, yet tired young adult.
Think about this.....
“No one can make you happy. Someone can make you happier. But no one can make you happy.”
This is coming from an article about how to be happy while being single, during your twenties specifically. But I think it has application for everyone. Have you ever thought of it in this way? You're happiness level does not depend on someone else. It's all you! I had the wrong idea the beginning of college. Being surrounded by a school that perpetuates love, dating, marriage, yada, yada, yada, those types of things tend to be on your mind whether you like it or not. I got the idea that I couldn't be truly happy unless someone liked me enough to make me irrevocably happy. THAT IS SO WRONG. I needed to find other ways to be indescribably happy. My family, close friends, and yeah....probably a few sweets here and there.
The point is, the only person that can make you truly happy is YOU. Being single does not mean you live a life in misery and sorrow and complete AGONY over your situation. We have to remember the good things in our life. Embrace the freedom. Embrace the independence. Embrace the ADVENTURE of being single at such a great age.
Another point that I really liked came on this other blog-------> THIS ONE
It's her #2 point. Don't be Envious of other People.
Okay. I like to say I'm not bad at this.....but I'll admit. I'm definitely more guilty then I would like to think. As much as I work on it. It's just HARD.
When you see someone that seems to have everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, going for them, it's hard to not be a little jealous of that. We're human. BUT, that doesn't mean we shouldn't work on it. Look at your life! I can guarantee you live a better life then a lot of people in this world. Some of us have the chance to get a higher education. We have jobs. Families who love us. Friends who care for us. An umbrella to keep us dry! Okay.....maybe you don't have that, but I do! And I LOVE it. I bet there are people walking past you each day, or associating with you, thinking what a great life you lead and the places you'll go in this world. If you do nothing but put a smile on people's faces and maybe hold the door open for an elderly woman one day, then your life is worth it. Yeah, I have friends who are dating, or already married, or have their future jobs landed, or just know what they're doing with their lives. Man....it gets hard some days when it feels like there's nothing out there for me. SO wrong. We all have potential that is unbelievable, and I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised at how everything falls into place when we start thinking positive, loving our own lives, and moving forward.
The last point I want to make (I just read that out loud and it feels like I'm speaking to a conference of professionals) is to Recognize the Importance of Timing.
I strongly believe things happen for a reason. People come into your life, circumstances change, decisions are made that all lead us to what we're meant to do. And it's all about the TIMING. It will happen when it's supposed to happen.
Do you hate hearing that? I hate hearing that. Hahaha, but really though.
It's the most frustratingly true statement you'll ever hear as a young adult. "One day, Audrey. It will come." "Just keep going Audrey." "It will happen when it's supposed to happen deary."
*Eye roll of the century*
But it's true. Patience. I think being a young adult for awhile teaches you REAL patience. I think my future husband and kids will appreciate that more. You have to learn to cope, respond, and move forward alone. A very good hard thing. I can't say much more then that. We just have to keep waking up in the morning.
I think this will conclude our therapy session for the day. I say these things, because I'm working on them myself, not because I'm good at them. It's like....I'm getting therapy for free. From myself. Without moving from my bed. #nailedit
2 comments
I concur with all you and your therapist have said. Life is going to be full of ups, downs, and all arounds but it's how you approach it and what you do with what you've been given that determines whether you'll be happy or not. And once you're married, you continue to have ups, downs, and all arounds. Life doesn't become perfect all at once and never will. But life can still be beautiful.
ReplyDeleteAudrey,
ReplyDeleteGreat moments are born from great opportunity. That's what you have at this moment, right now. That's what you've earned. If you were the person you were in high school today or the "perfect" next-door neighbor, it might be different. But not right now. Right now, you are awesome. Right now, you're awe-inspiring. Right now, you are going to be happy because you can! Right now, you are the most spiritual, lovely, gorgeous woman in the world. You were born to be great. Each and every day. You were meant to be right here, right now. This is your time. The time for comparing yourself to others is done. The game of keeping up with the girl next-door is over. People tell you that you're not good enough? Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it.