Being American

By 7/01/2015 , , , , , , , , ,

When I think of America or being "American", there's a few things that come to mind. Quite a few things. Thanks to my intense love of America, I even have a BA in American Studies. Don't ask me what that really is, just use common sense.

So getting to the matter at hand, I was thinking about what things come to my mind when I think about being "American". Here's what I came up with. Some are rather...silly, I know. But...I can't help what my subconscious does. :)

1. The Flag. Cliche, I know. But it's the first thing that pops in my head. I love seeing our flag. It's been through everything. Revolution, the Civil War, progressive era, the Roaring Twenties, WWI and WWII, all the way down through communism and the hippies movement. Haha, it's seen everything, and yet it still stands.  I love the way it stands for everything our country was built on.



2. The Captain America theme song. Yep. I'm completely serious. It pops right into my head and I suddenly feel this swell in my chest of extreme patriotism and love for my country. It just gets me going! I dare you to listen to it and not have at least SOME sort of feeling.


3. George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and FDR. I've studied fairly deeply on these presidents and I can't say words that express accurately enough how much I admire them. None of them by any means were perfect. But they had a place in history, particularly American history, that changed and affected SO MUCH. It's not by coincidence that they were presidents (general in Washington's case) through such significant war times. War always brings extreme change. They did the best with what they could and didn't falter. I just admire these men GREATLY, and hope to thank them some day.



4. Independence Day speech given by Bill Pullman. First off, if you haven't seen that movie....WATCH IT. Will Smith. Bill Pullman. Greatest thing ever. But that speech he gives towards the end of the movie is legitmately one of the most moving things I've heard in film. He embodies patriotism, the need to unite, and the greatness that lies in mankind. GAH. Just thinking about it gives me chills. Watch it.


5. Sacrifice. Who can think of our country and America without thinking about the numerous sacrifices that have been made in it's behalf? I've never had to give up anything significant in my life to enjoy the rights and freedoms that I have. But countless other people have. I have so much respect for the sacrifices people have made in order to keep this country free and safe. Not only in the past, but right now. Thank you.

6. Mr. Birrell. My American Studies teacher and AP US History teacher in high school. I honestly can't think of America without thinking of him. He taught history in a way that captivated me and made me see it in a whole new light. I was no special student, but I gained a large appreciation for America and its history through him. #americanstudiesforLIFE


I could go on and on. I specifically didn't mention any foods, because I could do a whole post on just food. #foodismylovelanguage I could talk about places, such as national parks or even Disneyland (Yeah, America brought the world Disney, you're welcome). America is a special place. Yes. We have a lot of problems. But there's a lot of things we do have and I could not be more grateful.

Now bring on the fireworks and parades and sunburns.

You Might Also Like

0 comments