Cinderella, Thank You

It's been a while since I blogged. Life happens.
But. I have just experienced one of the most beautiful things in quite some time.
The newest adaptation of Cinderella surpassed all my wildest dreams and I'm on cloud nine. And not just because Cinderella happens to be my favorite princess. But because this film was spectacular and beautiful.
I don't even know where to begin. My heart is over-flowing with happiness. Ah, okay. Okay. Organization. Let's go.
First.
This film gave these characters depth that I haven't seen in a cinderella story in a LONG TIME. The emotions of Ella's childhood and family experience. The relationship of the Prince and the King. The stepmother's grief that took her down a cruel path. The real life chemistry of the Prince Kit and Ella. They had lives and emotions and honest experiences that made you connect with them. How touching is that?
Second.
The film itself was beautiful. The scenery. The costumes.(OKAY. Her dress first off. And WEDDING DRESS. And Cate Blanchett was dressed to kill.) The houses. Can we talk about how breath-taking that castle was? #letmelivethere The casting was SPOT on. Every single last person. And I think everyone held their own. Though before seeing it, I was a little skeptical about Cinderella herself, I became completely won over by her. Cate Blanchett, what a WOMAN. You go girl. And the Prince. Oh my heavens. Could we have picked a more perfect prince? Dashing, charming, and downright adorable? Those blue eyes had me hooked before they even looked at me. The Duke and the black captain (okay, he was the coolest and will always be the coolest). THE FAIRY GODMOTHER. Can my fairy godmother be that funny? Pretty please? Even the goose who couldn't drive was fabulous. #nailedit
Third.
I think one of the best moves this movie made was having Kit (yes, I'm going to call him by his name because he's REAL #thankyouverymuch) and Ella meet for the first time NOT at the ball. They saw each other in a real life setting. She could show her personality, not just her dazzling gown. He could show his as well, not just his dazzling blue eyes and smile (okay, so he did that anyways...totally fine). You could FEEL the connection. That ladies and gentlemen was the right way to show love at first sight.
Fourth.
Have courage, and be kind.
What absolutely powerful and inspiring words. Absolutely perfect. I honestly think these are two things that could make any life infinitely times better. Kindness seems like such a trivial thing in the world today, but it's one of the most important. Going back to the book Wonder , "Choose Kindness". It's always the best choice. Kindness made Cinderella who she was. It defined her. And because of that, she stood out. She stood out for merely being kind. Something so simple, yet so powerful. The next best thing was her courage. She wasn't a defiant person. She wasn't a heroine in the sense that she could take down anyone she wanted. But she had pure courage. She knew what was right in her heart, and she wouldn't let anything stop her once she knew what she needed to do. I loved when she said "No" to her stepmother for the first time. It wasn't with sass or sharpness. It was a simple, no. I think it was a perfect example of her true nature and strength.
With so much to deal with in life and in the world around us, is it so hard to be a little braver and be a little more kind? Get out of our comfort zones a little. Take a risk. Smile at that person walking by. Do something for someone, willingly. Speak kindly to others. Put a smile in your voice. Though I can't say that I'm going to feed mice in my basement, I can say that I want to try harder to show kindness to anyone and everyone.
Fifth.
One of my favorite things about Cinderella is that she cherished the moment. She had a beautiful night with the most handsome prince in the most beautiful gown. And then....she had to leave. But she didn't got home and cry about it because the prince didn't propose to her right then. Or the fact that the prince would never know who she really was (oh, but he does...;)) She treasured the experience. It was a beautiful moment in time and she was happy just for that. She didn't worry about the future. She didn't fret over how much he may like her or not. She simply.....lived. What a beautiful example. I think we forget how important moments can be, because we're so lost in thinking and worrying about what might come next. #guiltyascharged
Also. At the end, when the prince has finally found her and Cinderella explains she's no princess, she has no parents, no dowry, but that the shoe he's holding may very well fit her, so would he take her as she was, for she loved him dearly. OH. There goes my heart. On the floor. Before he even answered. There was a girl who knew herself and loved herself and knew that all she could give was what she was. No more, no less. Isn't that what love is about? Loving someone for who they are on the inside and loving that they do the same for you?
This film just touched my heart and soul. Yes, I am a sentimental person. Yes, Cinderella is my favorite princess. Yes, I love magic. BUT. This is well worth anyone's time. It is inspiring. It is lovely. It is heart warming. It is wonderful.
Thank you, Cinderella, for teaching me some valuable lessons this evening. :)


2 comments
Audrey! I love your blog!! I especially love this post. I think it head the nail on the head. It is spot on. I went and saw it last night and this was my thinking as well! Love it!
ReplyDeleteJane!! You're a doll. Isn't it just such a beautiful movie?? I couldn't stop gushing about it for hours. Me and Hannah were dying!
Delete