That is the Purpose of Life

By 1/06/2015 , , , , , , , , , ,

Sometimes I feel like it takes a couple months for me to really feel like it's a new year. I don't know if I'm just in denial, or if my brain just can't compute writing the new year date on things. But this year feels different. It feels...new. Refreshing. Open. 


So here comes that obligatory post of new years resolutions and goals. Because we all know we have them, even if it's just one. And if I write it out, I'm more likely to achieve at least ONE of them. #fingerscrossed 

For this year--2015--I've decided to take on a motto. Why? Because I'm young, single, and extremely full of life and a desire to live life the best I can. 

It comes straight from my favorite movie and is also conveniently posted to the right of this. 



There is a whole world out there that I haven't taken the time to see or experience. And I'm not just talking about going places. I'm talking about books I haven't read, things I haven't learned, people I haven't met or taken the time to get to know. There's so much right here at my doorstep that I feel almost embarrassed that I've overlooked it all.  

But no more. 

You can expect me to be doing much more this year. With my new freedom, I'm going to take every advantage that I have. 

So. With that motto in mind, here are some resolutions I think need to happen for me this year. 


Learn one new thing each month: Whether it be a new cooking skill, or reading a book about something I don't know, or maybe picking up a new instrument, I want to do something. new. I'm making a list of things I want to do and will assign them to each month. 
Write a letter once a month: Letters are one of the most lovely and personal things a person can give I think. You sacrifice your time to share your thoughts to another person. Whether it's trivial or touching. I want to make someone's day with a letter worthy of a stamp. :) 
Go somewhere new each month: I think this could be as simple as a new museum I've never been to, or a random historical site (there's loads around here), or taking a weekend road trip to somewhere I've never been before. I just want to see things and experience the moment. 
Blog once a week: I used to be good at this, and now I'm not. I've got no homework excuse, so now is the time to get back to it. It serves as a good journal for me, so why not take advantage of it. 
Attend the temple weekly: I've been working on this since I graduated and did pretty good through the rest of the 2014, but I want to make it a year long goal and see how I do. It has blessed me immeasurably, and I don't want to lose that. 
Actively do Family History: I started getting into it this last year, but now I want to really jump into it and find at least ONE name that I can call my own. It's going to happen, even if I have to blend into someone else's family lines to do it. #iamnotkidding 
Take the GRE: Guess what...I can't get into grad school without it. So...this is going to have to happen. I figured if I put it on the list, it might instill some motivation in me. So far...it hasn't. 

It also happens to be my birthday today (I won't tell you a number because I've officially stopped counting). I've always liked having my birthday at the beginning of the year. It's a new starting place for me in so many ways. A clean slate if you will. And this year is no different. I think it's going to be a good year. I have no idea what's in store for me, but I think it's going to be an interesting and different kind of adventure. I'm going to travel to Europe (yeah...surprise! I'm really going), and move into the beginnings of new phases of my life, alone mostly. For the first time in a long time, I'm alone. So, here's to heads held high, new experiences, and lots more Jimmy Fallon videos. 

#welcome2015

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I love your resolutions! I didn't know you were thinking about grad school! What do you want to do?

    ReplyDelete