Oh Love.
It's arrived.
Love Week.
For many of us, it means chocolates, flowers, date nights, lovey dovey stuff, you get the picture. And that's great. SO great. But, unfortunately, those aren't the only people in this world. And it seems to me that there are two different types of people in that predicament. One, you curse the world for leaving you alone to defend yourself, especially in an environment that practically screams marriage in your face. You complain or just shut off from the world. Why should you give them the time of day if they didn't have the decency to give it to you?
The other is that you go for the extreme opposite. You're going to be as happy as possible. You'll tell people you don't care about being single during Single Awareness Week. You'll be at the stores on the 15th getting that 50% off chocolate. You'll listen to your love playlist all week. Or maybe just T-Swift. You'll put together a giant party for all your single ladies or gents and eat to your hearts content, watch A Walk to Remember or Hot Rod, and make the most of your night. The next morning you'll probably hit rock bottom, but maybe you'll just sleep all morning, who knows.
Pretty drastic right? I've seen it happen. On both ends. And don't get me wrong, both are totally and completely fine and dandy! You do what works for you at this time of pumped up love.
Over the years, I've had extremely pleasant memories of Valentine's Day. My favorite would have to be that year that my significant other took me to an Italian restaurant, a basketball game, and then a dozen red roses were on my kitchen table when I came home. Sigh......I didn't have instagram then, so I better show you a picture of this blessed man.
GOTCH YA. ;)
Hahahaha, I'm making myself laugh more right now than you.
BUT, I do have pleasant memories of Valentines Day nonetheless. My family is one of the best in the world. My mother has made it a tradition to always make a wonderful dinner, usually candlelit with the fine china. We'll all exchange valentines and enjoy our company. Growing up, my dad would always get me and my sisters something, and we felt so special. One year my parents even surprised us with a trip to Disneyland. My family honestly makes me look forward to Valentines Day each year.
So, that being said, whats another way to approach this lovely time of year?
As always, I think attitude is the biggest contributing factor. Obviously, I can't give real life experience of having a man spoil me silly, but I can say that choosing to focus on other things, along with eating some chocolate isn't a bad way to go. I will never stop saying to people to BE HAPPY.
For example, here's what I do. I love to make valentines for people. Like really make them. It gives me joy to make something for someone and give it to them. Whether they appreciate it or not, that's up to them. But I love it. Plus it gives me a good excuse to color. :)
Another thing you can do is remember YOUR TIME WILL COME. Patience young padawan. That guy or girl out there will come around eventually and make you completely and incandescently happy. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
So do what you want this Valentine's Day. Curl up in a ball, or go out with your boyfriend/girlfriend, or have a party with your family. Whatever you do, ENJOY IT.
And remember, life is short. EAT DESSERT FIRST.

0 comments