Guidebook to becoming an Oldies Fanatic

By 7/22/2011 , , , , ,

Before I begin, I'll let you know that I am completely qualified to write this. I am, in fact, an Oldies fanatic. Serious. Oldies. Fan. And most of you know that. So here we go.


Guide To Becoming An Oldies Fanatic

Do you feel like you live in a dull, boring, drab, kind of era? Are you in need of some pure comedy? Some unblemished romance? Some heart wrenching stories? Intense thrillers without all the blood and gore that current movie makers think you need?

Well my friends, you are reading the right guidebook. And I hope that it will prove to be useful to you.

Cary Grant
Step 1

First, you need to be exposed to the right old movie to begin with. One that will capture you in the right way. For this step, I am providing some recommendations:
Audrey Hepburn (<3
 Particularly It Started With Eve. It is wonderful. And hilarious. With great music.


While watching the movie, please do not judge it by the color (that's called racism), age, or the lack of immorality. Because, believe it or not, movies used to have quality. Go figure, right?

Watch the movie with a friend, that makes it more funny. And popcorn is a must.

Step 2

You have now fallen in love with that movie. Whichever movie that was. And you and your friend(s) now need to quote the funny lines of that movie to each other. Constantly. And they get funnier every time. It's true. Soon, you will watch the movie again, because it was so great. And quote some more, and laugh some more. And you're making good progress.

Esther Williams & Van Johnson
Step 3

Now, because that movie was great, you get on the internet, and you search everything by the actors/actresses in the movie. You find corresponding movies with the main people and try to find somewhere to watch them, or beg your parents to buy it. You watch more movies, and you enjoy them more and more, and find that you know all about a few of those particular actors. Within a few months you should have all their movies, or at least have watched all of them via the internet.

By now you will feel a certain connection with these people and feel you are best friends.

Step 4

This step may be a little bit harder, but I think you can manage.

Cyd Charrise
Deanna Durbin
You need to find someone who also loves old movies/music/actors. This may be a little difficult, but you might be surprised how easy it can be. This person will connect you and introduce you to lots of other movies and people and music. It makes this whole process a lot easier. If you are in need of someone to suggest things like this, I have a few recommendations:
Audrey Ogden--I hear she's pretty well known in the Oldies era. It may be hard to contact her, due to her ultra fancy life of working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. But, if you approach her with sincerity, I'm sure she would help.
Erika Bunker--When she's not busy swooning over Remington, Gene, or Robert, she would also be a good contact to introduce you to many wonderful old things.

Once you find a contact, you will become fast friends for life. And you will becoming deeper and deeper into the world of classics. Keep it up.
Doris Day

Bobby Darin, great singer :)
Step 5 

By now you should becoming more and more attuned to your inner oldies movie self. But now it's time to take it a step farther. You need the music that molded these era's just as much as the movies. I would suggest talking to that friend you have now, they will more than likely have much music to give you. Then I would suggest checking with your grandma's. Now, mind you, not all of your will have grandmas with plenty of music, but you might be surprised. It was MY grandma that got me into this stuff as a young child. So just give it a try. If you would like to go further, you could do some research for yourself. Check out itunes, youtube, local stores (usually oldies albums will be pretty cheap). And there are always things like pandora, grooveshark, and playlist.com that have PLENTY of oldies music to listen to. Go for it. :)
Gene Kelly :)

Step 6

By now, it's safe to call yourself a fan. You've researched, watched, listened. If I had a club of fans, you would be invited.

BUT, there are still people more fanatic then this. Some people OWN a lot of the movies. Some people own original sheet music. Some people own paper dolls of their favorite actresses/actors. Some people can quote multiple ENTIRE movies.  Some people have posters. Some people...........well, you get the point.

Not that I speak from experience or anything..........

But there you have it ladies and gentlemen.

This is the way to become a fan. If you truly want to. And if you do....you will NEVER regret it.

To those of you who mock Oldies fans.......I would be a little more careful from now on. Just sayin.

For more information, please visit: www.1940sgirlsatheart.blogspot.com

Song of the Day: Make em' Laugh----Donald O'Connor

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. So SO good! I need to become an Oldies Fan! I'm looking for a movie to watch tonight so maybe I will make it an oldie?! We shall see! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting there. What do you think of Elvis movies? I recommend G.I. Blues. (Hey, p.s. take a look-see at my blog. You won something virtual!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah!! I love Elvis movies. HAve you seen his Blue Hawaii or Paradise Hawaiian Style?? Both of those are good Elvis movies. I will go to your blog right now!

    ReplyDelete